A variable speed drive, also known as an inverter, works by changing the speed of a motor by varying the voltage supplied to it. Variable speed drives consist of either AC (alternating current) or DC (direct current) drives.
An AC variable speed drive consists of four key components; the user interface, the AC motor, the electrical supply, and the process interface. The intuitive user interface enables you to obtain process information, making it simple to integrate with other process control systems or even override other process control systems altogether. The AC in AC variable speed drive refers to the drives alternating current.
By utilising an AC variable speed drive, your application can benefit from;
1. Precise speed control and controlled currents; helping to extend your motor's lifespan.
2. By implementing a variable speed drive and controlled motor stopping, the motor in your application will benefit from a reduced level of wear and tear.
3. The components of an AC variable speed drive do not require regular maintenance like other drives; resulting in significantly lower maintenance costs.
Variable speed drives are suitable for a number of applications including; pumps, compressors, conveyor belts, lathes, mills, food processing production lines and many, many more...
1. Fans - A variable speed drive is a much more energy-efficient way of reducing fan speed than using a dampner.
2. Pumps - Using throttle control for pumping applications results in poor energy efficiency. By using a variable speed drive the pump is continually run at the most appropriate design speed for improved energy efficiency.
3. Pressure Control - A variable speed drive will adjust the pump speed based on feedback signals to maintain a constant pressure through changes inflow.
You can select AC variable speed drives by manufacturer; ABB, KB Electronics, Parker, and Yaskawa in the menu at the top of the page. If you would like any help choosing the correct drive for your application please get in touch. If you require a drive that is not listed on-site, please speak to one of our team as we can usually supply other drives within just a few days.
Axis Controls also offer a fully bespoke electrical control panel building service. If you require a new drive building into an electrical control system, get in touch or browse our portfolio to learn more.